Patton rocking the reindeer antlers
With Christmas and Sydney's birthday being in the same month, she tends to receive quite a few presents. Taking that into consideration, Jason and I decided to teach her about giving to others in need. Last night we began our Christmas shopping for her two kids. We started at the clothing store. I figured it would be easy to begin teaching Sydney about giving to others since she has not hit that age when girls become obsessed with the way they dress, then we would shop for toys knowing that is where her struggle would be.
Walking into The Children's Place seemed to be more of a temptation for me than for Sydney. The sales were great, and I wanted so badly to buy Sydney more clothes than she really needs. I pulled a shirt off the rack in her size and even though it took me some time (a lot of time), I realized I had to put it back. What kind of example or lesson can I teach my daughter about giving to others if we buy her something at the same time. My daughter would not understand at all. So I refocused and we began our mission to solely buy for our two children. The two of us ended up having a really good time together and she even picked out some of the clothes all by herself and she picked out a Christmas present to give to her best friend.
Then we went to a store Sydney is far too familiar with...Walmart. She was quick to point out to me where the toys were located. As we approached the toy aisle she was already saying, "I want that toy" etc. I cannot even count how many times I had to remind her we were not buying a toy for her but for someone we did not know. I could tell it was pretty confusing for her at a 3 year old level to understand why we were buying for someone she did not know. I decided to let her pick out a toy for her best friend like she did at the clothing store. That way she could mentally put a face and name with what we were giving away. When she is older, she will hopefully realize it does not matter who you are giving to, but rather what the act of giving means. She picked out Candyland to give to her best friend. I could not be more happy with her choice because she loves this game. She wanted to open the game right in the middle of the toy aisle at Walmart, but I kept reminding her who the game was for. And then I heard her say, "I love Cheyanne, and I give her a toy." After she said those words, I knew something was clicking in her mind and she was starting to understand.
The rest of the time spent shopping for toys was really enjoyable. All I have to say is Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus is way beyond any "coolness" factor I will ever have.
Gotta have the Hannah Montana Fashion Accessories!
The two of us had a great night together, and we topped off our shopping spree with a piece of leftover chocolate cake. Just what any kid needs before bedtime...



Such a great idea! And cute pictures!
ReplyDeleteI love the antlers on Patton.
ReplyDelete