Sunday, December 13, 2009

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

A few days ago Sydney and I began making a special cake for a special nephew.  Jeremiah our nephew had his birthday a few weeks ago.  His family had a small celebration for him and then he was out of town on his actual birthday.  Jason, Sydney, and I planned to give him his gift several times but the timing never seemed to work out with his schedule and my forgetful mind. For Sydney's birthday cake I found some candles at Party City where the flames on the candle light up as the same color of the candle itself.   Twelve come to a box and we only used three for Sydney, so we had just enough to make Jeremiah this cake to put with his gift.  I have been wanting to make the "Rainbow Cake" for some time just didn't have a reason to.

While we were making the cake, I decided it could not be a better time to teach Sydney the significance of the Rainbow.  Not too long ago, each week in Sunday School, Sydney would bring home an activity relating to the beginning of Genesis.  For instance, she brought home a cut out of a bird she colored and it said either God made birds or animals.  Very simple, but easy enough for a toddler to grasp the meaning.  I know she understood what she had been learning in Sunday School regarding the "Beginning Lessons" as one day after church she told Jason and I, "God made water and everything!"  As we made the Rainbow Cake, I figured it could not be a better time to expand what she had already learned in Genesis. We talked about Noah's Arc, the flood, and of course the rainbow.  The only problem was after we made the cake we were not able to cut the cake open.  We all have crazy schedules so my sister-n-law ran by and picked the cake up for Jeremiah to have that night after school. And last night Sydney and I made the cake once again, reviewed Noah's Arc once again, and she was finally able to see the inside of our "Rainbow Cake." 


The Candles

First Three Layer

4th, 5th, and 6th Layers


Almost Ready to Eeat!

Sydney decorated with Sprinkles




Voila!


Rainbow at the top of Diamond Head the day Mom and I walked up it.

"I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth... .. the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh." Gen 9:13,15





No comments:

Post a Comment