Saturday, December 5, 2009

Thanksgiving

As we sat in small groups the Sunday before Thanksgiving, we were each asked to talk to one another about what we are thankful for this year.  One of the men in our class said, "I am thankful for the things God has not given me."  I have really thought about that statement and how true it is.  There are so many things in my life that would be different if I was in control and not Him.  Before Jason's deployment I prayed asking God several times for his orders to change.  God didn't answer my prayers.  Jason was deployed and there were many struggles that we faced and now I have my "Eyes Wide Open" to things that were once overlooked.  I am so thankful for those who supported Jason, Sydney, and I daily, you will never know how much that means to all of us.  Some relationships went sour but are now being mended back into a stronger, true relationship, and I value it even more than before.  Jason and I have become closer as a married couple from this experience.  If God would have answered my prayers and given me what I asked for, I wouldn't have what I have now, which is so much more.

We had such a good Thanksgiving this year.  Usually we go to the big town of Blooming Grove to Ashley and Jeff's house but this year we went to the newlyweds, Valerie and Todd's.  Not only was our family there but so was Todd's as well as some of their close friends.  Ashley made sure to slice the pickles just like Granddaddy did when he made potato salad, and David brought his famous deviled eggs that everyone loves!  We had a scavenger hunt for Logan, Landon, and Sydney. Although Sydney did not know what was really going on she had fun running around with her two cousins.

The Nectoux's

Such a beautiful couple!




Ashley, Shannon, Sydney Ann, and Valerie. 


Me and Dad


Sydney and Mawmaw (Mom)



What's Thanksgiving without a Turkey Cake?  It was strawberries and cream just like Todd's grooms cake.



Landon and Logan getting a clue for the scavenger hunt out of the bird bath



Norma Kay and Sharon Elaine, the two oldest sisters.


Then we went to Jason's parents house to watch the Cowboy game.  We were completely stuffed from all the food at the Nectoux's but made room for more. 



Jason, Sydney, and his two beautiful nieces


Shannon and Sydney

Then we finished up at Larry and Becky's.  Becky made the best deviled eggs and I gladly finished them off!


Jason and Uncle Larry looking at Larry's Army pictures.


Jason and Tricia


Tricia and Hunter putting on a show!  That boy can dance!


Syd and Tricia

Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NIV)

2 comments:

  1. Your first comment ;)

    Great first post!!I'm thankful for our new found relationship :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, you did a beautiful job with this blogsite! Thankyou for sharing with me, you have such a beautiful family! I'll have to send you an invite to ours.

    ReplyDelete