New Years Day 2009 I was busy making sure all the laundry was done (hate laundry, my loving husband does it for our family), making our bed and changing my outfit at least three times. Sydney had her special dress on and she knew what her special dress meant. It was going to be a good day, the best New Years Day I could have dreamed of. Right before noon my husband would be walking up Gate 22 Terminal D. It had been almost 5 months since the last time we had seen each other. I was so nervous, I was sick. There were short phone calls and text messages placed between family regarding his arrival which made my stomach turn even more. I called 972.574.0392 so many times New Years Eve and Day, it became a new contact in the address book of my phone. I could not be late for my husband's arrival. I remember standing in the kitchen with a broom answering a phone call from Jason, he was in Georgia. He was almost home. The last time I spoke to him previous to that call was from a German Airport on New Years Eve.
Terminal D Gate 22 is dedicated to those soldiers who are coming home on R and R, and Sydney and I were standing in it. Sydney and I were the only ones picking Jason up at the airport that day. We would see his family soon but that special time was ours and ours alone.
I honestly do not know what has happened to me the past year but I have become overly emotional. I have always prided myself and tried my best not to display my emotions in public or in front of people I don't know. But those days are long gone. Turn on the TV, and if anything is addressed on TV regarding a soldier my eyes tear up. The insurance commercial with the clip of the female soldier getting off the bus only to be wrapped up in her son's arms gets me every time. Sydney saw that commercial and without any prompting for either of us, she looked at Jason and said, "Daddy, remember when you got off that big bus. I missed you a lot." Jason got off that big bus in June. Another great day etched in my memory.
That "Big Bus"
First Embrace in 5 Months
"Daddy, Daddy, Daddy" She couldn't believe it was really him.
So there we were standing as close as the volunteers in the terminal would allow family members to gather around the gate. One by one soldiers started walking, people were clapping. Lots of people were clapping for each one of the brave soldiers getting off the plane that day, and one of those brave soldiers was mine. I had my camera but there were so many tears running down my face I couldn't even turn it on. It seemed like Jason was the last person to get off the plane that day. He was the one who found me through the mass of people as I was in daze like state by that point. It was truly a good moment in time. We walked out of the terminal hand in hand. I carried Jason's huge bag over my right shoulder and he held Sydney as tight as he could not ever wanting to let go.
I really cannot envision a better New Years Day than that of 2009 but this year was in many ways. Nothing spectacular happened, but we were together as a family. Mom and Dad stopped by for a short time and brought food for all of us to eat. Brandon, Kristine, Jeremiah, Avery, and Brianna all were able to come over and do absolutely nothing but make memories with each other. Even though we all lead busy lives, it is nice to take time out, relax, and spend it with the ones you love. That is what life is about and I want to take full advantage of it. I don't think I truly understood how important family is until I had Sydney. She changed everything. I want Sydney to be close to her cousins as I am close to Ashley and Valerie. They are more to me than just my cousins and will always be.
Here we are on Valerie's Wedding Day. We are all so happy and it shows. I love and admire those two girls more than they will ever know. We are close because we grew up together and I desire the same for Sydney and her cousins.
Playing Wii. You can tell they are brothers. They are sporting the exact "tense jaw" look.
Up to no good.
Jeremiah you may want to buckle up. Avery is looking pretty serious.
No babies were harmed during this photo. ;)
J had to show the girls how a pink mustang should be driven!
This year is going to be different in many ways and I'm ready.
Happy New Year.















Make me get tears over here! ;) Love the tense jaw look! I was laughing so hard. Great blackmail photo for J. I think I'll have to frame that one. :) Thanks for having us over
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year! A MUCH better one for our families together!
Great Entry. It was good to hear you say you get overly emotional too when reading or watching anything about soldiers. I get tears in my eyes all of the time at commercials, news reports, or articles I read having anything to do about soldiers. Even seeing a soldier in uniform gives me chills (I just want to go run up and hug them...and their family). Its a feeling I have never experienced until this past yr.
ReplyDeleteI was driving down the road the other day thinking about those of us who go through a deployment (soldier and their family) are changed forever. Someway...Somehow...Something in them changes. Life is different. Things that once were important, no longer are. And things that were not important before, are now. We are all better people for it. But thank goodness it's over !!