Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Reading, Writing, and Arithmetics

Since last January I have been researching and talking with private schools in our location. By the time Jason came home in June I had narrowed the list and in November we made our decision on which school Sydney will hopefully attend through 12th grade.

Yesterday morning was Sydney's first day. She was beyond excited and I was just as happy. Monday night she had already packed her backpack several times. When I woke her up Tuesday morning she said, "Time to go to school," and so we went.


Getting some of her supplies ready to go


Putting her jacket on, it was cold out.


Her new "Sydney" backpack and matching lunch box


Refusing to smile


Giving a half smile



Walking into school

I was hoping Sydney would not cry when we were leaving, so I made a conscious effort not to linger in the room too long. I told  Jason, "Let's Go" which I got shot an ugly look from the corner of his eye. He finally left the room. I knew she was going to be fine. Before we left I saw her talking an earful to Mrs. T and she was already sitting at the classroom table with a few of the other students.

Jason looked so sad driving home from school. I even looked behind his sunglasses because I really thought he was tearing up. He just said to me, "She's too young to be going to school." But in his eyes she is still 1.5 years old. He missed out on a year of her life being deployed and I have to remind myself that. When we arrived home he was sitting on the couch and said, "Are you not stressed out?" It was obviously hard for him to see Sydney go to school, to realize she is not a baby anymore like she was the day he left for deployment.



August 2008 on Camp Shelby in Mississippi.
This picture was the first time Jason had held Sydney in a month. We flew to see him when he got a four day pass before flying to Iraq.


Hattiesburg Zoo, August 2008. She has grown so much since then.


Hard Rock Hotel, Biloxi Mississippi August 2008.
She still loves the water and her hair has remained about the same length since then. Those are about the only things that have not changed since last summer when he deployed.


My Mom asked me why I did not sound stressed or anxious about Sydney being in school yesterday over the phone. I told her I knew preschool was going to be a postivie thing for Sydney as it was for me when I was Sydney's age. Since June 2008 when Jason deployed, Sydney has had no schedule or routine. I worked full time, long hours and Sydney stayed with my parents some weekends, and Annisha some nights when I worked three shifts in a row. She was constantly at someone else's house when I worked. I did not even see Sydney on Christmas Day last year because I was working and she stayed at my parents. A structured schedule is what Sydney needs and now that is what she has and I could not be happier.

We picked Sydney up from school in the afternoon. School must have wore her out. She was the only student still asleep on her mat and Jason had to wake her up. Mrs. T said she was the "Perfect New Student." It made us feel so happy and proud of our daughter. Sydney did not have too much to say about her day other than it was fun but looking at the paperwork that was sent home her class learned about Jesus as a boy, read Curious George, did winter activties and they had P.E. and snacks. Last night she did randomly tell us, "My school has a little potty for little boys and little girls to pee pee and poo poo in" so at least she knows where to take care of business.

No comments:

Post a Comment