Monday, January 18, 2010

They Lost!

Since the start of the NFL Football season I have dreaded each Sunday or more specifically any day that a football game is played on. Jason is completely wrapped up in football and it irritates me beyond belief. And if I dare complain about how ridiculous it is for him to spend countless hours glued to the television or refreshing his Fantasy Football screen on the computer it leads to the most dramatic argument of all times. An argument which leads him to say, “Shannon, I hardly was able to watch any games last year. Remember, I was in IRAQ.” To which I roll my eyes as far back in my head as possible and reply, “You signed up for it. I can’t help you were not back in time for football season.” Clearly that is not the comment that Jason would like to hear so our conversation only gets “more interesting” from that point on.

Jason and I have had conversations about being on the same team. I am referring to parenting our daughter but yet somehow it turns into me needing to be on the same team and show a little bit more interest in football because it means so much to him. Jason takes football personal. He refers to the Cowboys as “His Team” and if they lose a depression sets in until there is mere chance of victory at their next game. It is as if he has a personal connection with each player on the team. I have come to the conclusion he daydreams about hanging out with Romo on his days off and giving him football insights.

It is time consuming. I wouldn’t have a problem with Jason watching the Cowboys if it meant he wasn’t going to watch every other game. Thank goodness I did not at a low point in my life decide to order the NFL Ticket, otherwise I fear it would be an everyday affair. Watching the pregame, postgame, ESPN at every chance and listening to AM Radio has seriously turned into a part-time job for him. If there was an organization that helps men with football addiction like AA helps people, I would be the first to sign Jason up. He likes to remind me that I watch reality TV just like he watches football. I think we all know Keeping up with Kardashians is by far less time and mind consuming than hours on end of football.

You can only imagine my excitement last night when the Cowboys lost. Do I have anything against the Cowboys? Of course not, other than my husband would rather spend time with them than Sydney and I during football season. Let it be known that I have tried to watch a game with him but I “stress him out” during the game because I ask too many questions therefore it is not pleasurable for him to watch a game with me or Sydney. What 3 year old has an attention span of 3-4 hours to watch a football game? Maybe she would if Max and Ruby were playing Lenny, Tuck, and Ming Ming, but we know that is not realistic.

After Jason finished watching the game with the guys we were driving home from Holly’s and this is the conversation that occurred:

Jason: “Daddy is so sad today.”

Sydney: “Why Daddy.”

Jason: “Because Baby, the Cowboys didn’t win.”

Sydney: “Oh.”

Shannon: "Whatever, it doesn’t matter. As soon as we get home you are going to watch ESPN or the next game. It is so ridiculous. I’m glad they didn’t win."

Jason: “I’m not watching anything that has to do with football until next weekend, and I know you are glad they didn’t win.”

Shannon: “Sure Babe.”

Jason: “No I’m serious. Can you believe that Brett Farve scored a long pass touchdown with only seconds left in the end of the game?”

Shannon: “Oh, that’s awesome. You know he seems to be a pretty good quarterback at his age.”

Jason: “Shannon, he’s old and that act was so classless. You don’t ever do that when you have run the scoreboard up like they did.”

Shannon: “Well I guess the Cowboys defense should have blocked that. Besides you didn't say anything when the Cowboys beat the Eagles so bad. Babe, relax. When Brett Farve decided to return he said his daughter wanted him to win the Super Bowl. That is so sweet.”

Jason: silence…

For the record another football game was watched last night. Jason said he couldn’t turn the channel if by chance anything negative happened to be directed towards the Cowboys? Yeah, right. Needless to say I cannot wait until February 7th is long and gone.

4 comments:

  1. LOL!!!!!!! Why can I SO seeing each of you in my mind, like I was in the car.

    Your next post should be of my little precious niece getting her ears pierced ;) Hint hint! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laughing inside the whole time I read this. Do NOT get the NFL ticket. At least Jason is only follows one team. Jon watches EVERY game and has about 75 calls discussing the games with varies. And no I am not exaggerating the number. Every penalty or touchdown is another phone call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just barely reading this Shannon. I sure know what you are talking about. But I was laughing the whole time I was reading this. I tell you if the guys could have teleconference at their houses, we would never get a break from hearing about football.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon I'm crushed,How can you not like football. We must talk.. it will have to be next year, I am still in mourning and my jersey is banished to the moth balls again. canwe not get rid of Romo... Sigh, Oh well Go Stars!!Kim

    ReplyDelete