On our second day in California all the soldiers had class at the hotel so Amy, Liz, and myself took the car and headed to the Griffith Observatory to get pictures of the Hollywood sign.
Amy, Me, Liz
View of the City
At night you can come back to the observatory and look at all the stars.
Inside the observatory was all kinds of information about the planets and stars.
This was without the coolest part of the observatory. It records seismic activity. I never really think about earthquakes since we live in Texas but this was so interesting. I wish Jason was with me, he loves all this kind of stuff.
On January 10th, it recorded a 6.5 magnitude offshore in Northern California. The picture on the left has a colored key in the bottom that tells what people would feel such as vibrations, strong shaking, etc. The star is where the earthquake was recorded.
Above is a computerized map that is constantly updating all the seismic activity in california in categories of last hour, last day, last week. I have to admit I am not big into museums etc. unless it has to do with the human body but this was really awesome.
There was all sorts of hiking trails around the observatory. By the time we left the observatory all the surrounding areas were packed full of hikers.
We drove to Laguna Beach. Laugh if you wish but I had to pay respect to one of my favorite reality shows.
We drove back to Anaheim on the highway that ran closest to beaches. We passed through Newport. On the way back to the hotel we may have taken a wrong turn here and there despite our "Hertz Never Lost" GPS system. But we ended up driving right by the Crystal Cathedral. I remember seeing broadcasts for the church on TV so many times growing up.
Front of Cathedral
Back of Cathedral
Looking up the glass tower
Prayer Room in the glass tower
Center of Prayer Room
Memorial Wall, this area was huge and covered a lot of ground.
Right before we returned to the hotel we passed the Angels Stadium
Our last day, February 21st, Jason had classes until around noon. When we checked out of the hotel and Rudy, Amy, Jason, and I went and ate in Downtown Disney.
Pluto, Shannon, Jason, Mickey, and Minnie
We ate at the House of Blues
It was a nice weekend but I think we were both glad to be home.
































No comments:
Post a Comment